Wagyu drippings, Brussel sprouts, sea salt
1. Collect Wagyu fat, and render evenly in a pan. * see notes below
2. Peel off 3-4 outer leaves of Brussel sprouts. ( reserve remaining sprouts for another application )
3. Deep fry in Wagyu fat at 300°F, until crispy but not browned.
4. Strain on a paper towel to absorb excess fat.
5. While still hot, lightly sprinkle salt.
*Tricks of the trade:
- When rendering fat, make sure to keep the temperature as low as possible to ensure fat remains sweet and clear.
- When frying brussel sprouts, keep the temperature as low as possible to ensure crispness but also to avoid burning. You should be able to fry 3 to 4 batches using the same oil.
Photo & Recipe by
Chef Nobuo Fukuda,
James Beard Award Winner, Chef & Owner, Nobuo at Teeter House